Reservations


Kliknete zde
Kliknete zde

Church of St .Wenceslas

Church of St. Wenceslas stands in the place on the former oldest Romanesque church, whose existence is assumed as early as the late 12th century. The beginnings of the present building date to the early 15th century. Its outer appearance is the result of rearrangements in the 16th century and first half of the 17th century. Since 1625, the church has been the seat of the Collegiate Chapter.

Today, the Church of St. Wenceslas is situated in the area of the original village, which later became part of Mikulov. The existence of a Romanesque church on the same site can be assumed in the late 12th century, it is documented in writing, however, as late as 1276. The original form of the church is unknown. The core of the present building dates to the early 15th century, when a Parler oriented builder contributed to its building. Completion of construction of the church was violently interrupted by the Hussite invasion of the town in 1426, when the new building was burned and destroyed. For a long time, the church was only temporarily repaired, and in 1584 it burned again. A year later, already under Dietrichsteins, senior representatives of recatholization raised the tower by a residential floor with the apartment of the tower master and an arcaded walkway. The completion was finished only around 1640 with new vaulting of the three bodies with a new stucco decoration. Sacristy with choir loft was added on the floor and Gothic windows were adapted into their present form. Along the side bodies, Marian chapels and manor oratory with a covered walkway leading to the road to the castle, were built. In 1642, a large bell with small relief of Calvary and figure of Provost George Otislav of Kopenice was installed in the tower. At this time the church of St. Wenceslas had already been the seat of the Collegiate Chapter for several years, founded by Francis, Cardinal of Dietrichstein, in 1625. The Collegiate Chapter is still active in Mikulov. Between 1762 - 1775, the church purchased a new interior equipment, including a new organ, and restored the roof of the tower; the church itself was re-roofed in 1846. From the interior, it is necessary to mention the monumental main altar painting of Murder of St. Wenceslas by Franz Anton von Freenthal and especially the statue of Madonna with child on the altar of cedar wood in the North Chapel of Our Lady of Loreto, originally located in the Loreto church of St. Anne. After 1784, marble epitaphs of Václav Vilém Popel of Lobkowicz (+1626) and his wife, Margaret Frances, born Dietrichstein (+1617), with portraits of the deceased, were installed in the north alcove of the chancel. Many tombstones from the late 16th and the 17th century are located on the outer wall of the church.

Contact

  • Kostelní náměstí 3
  • 692 01 Mikulov
  • tel.: +420 519 510 309